General Finishes Gel Stains
Gel stains are easy to apply and can be used on vertical and overhead surfaces without fear of runs, drips and sags. Results are more even on blotch prone woods because the gel consistency limits penetration into uneven grain.
- Pigmentgel stain with Urethane Resin.
- Oil based, but compatible under waterbased finishes.
- Can be applied to bare wood.
- Works very well over dye stains to establish more even tones on tough to stain woods such as birch.
- Colors can be intermixed for custom colors.
- Apply by rag and wipe off.
- Second or third applications can developricher tones.
- Also useful as a pigmented glaze for special effects on pre-sealed surfaces.
- Great for handheld parts finishing, like intarsia.
- Use easy to apply wipe-on Gel Urethane Topcoat over stain for better durability and protection.
- For Brushing or Spray On protective topcoats in a wider selection of sheens, we recommend High Performance Poly.
General Finishes Gel Stain Colors
Colors are shown on maple and oak veneers. Colors may not be exact on all monitors. Test stains on scrap prior to application to projects.
General Finishes Gel Stains On Maple
General Finishes Gel Stains On Oak
General Finishes Gel Stain Application Instructions
Wipe on Urethane Stains & Topcoats:
These easy to use products simply wipe on with a rag. There's no messy splashing, drips or runs. Gel stains produce an even finish on hard to stain woods such as Aspen, Pine or Maple
Application of Gel Stains:
Divide your project into sections,drawer front, table or cabinet top, side of chest,etc. Then using a clean cloth wipe off the excess stain in the direction of the grain.
Be sure to remove all rag marks and smudges. Additional coats of stain may be applied for a deeper, richer color.
However, for improved durability we recommend applying Gel Urethane Topcoat over Gel Stain when working as a "wipe-on" project.
If brushing is preferred or if spray equipment is available, High Performance Poly is the ideal choice for the most durable topcoat.
Application of Gel Topcoats: